As an M&T Bank customer, we want to make sure you are aware of “phishing” e-mails that can put you at risk. “Phishing” is a technique used to gain personal information. These e-mails may appear to come from M&T Bank and may contain our logo. They are designed to mislead you into providing personal information such as account numbers, card PINs and Social Security numbers. These fraudulent e-mails often state your attention is needed immediately and provide a link to a page asking you to enter personal information. We DO NOT initiate e-mails seeking personal information.
M&T Bank will never send you an e-mail requesting personal information, such as your Social Security number, M&T Debit Card or ATM Card number or PIN.
If you receive a suspicious e-mail, please forward it, as an attachment, to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Safeguarding your information is one of our highest priorities. We want to make sure that you are well informed about how you can help protect your information.
Tips to Protect Yourself from Phishing Scams:
- Never respond to any messages requesting personal financial information
- Never click on Hyperlinks within emails if you believe it may be fraudulent; the hyperlink may contain a virus
- Use SPAM Filter Software
- Use Anti-Virus Software
- Use a Personal Firewall
- Keep Software Updated (operating systems and web browsers)
- Always look for "https://" and padlock on legitimate web sites that require the input of personal information
- Keep your computer clean from Spyware
- Educate yourself of fraudulent activity on the Internet
- Check & monitor your credit report regularly
- Seek advice if you are unsure about phishing. You can ask expert from Fraud Watch International at email@example.com
- Do not be intimidated by emails that threaten termination of service if you do not follow the instructions contained in the email
- Delete emails before opening them if you receive an email from anyone that you do not recognize
If you believe the email you received is fraudulent, and that you may be a target or victim of a phishing or other scam related to your M&T accounts, please notify us immediately at 1-800-724-2440 or send an email so that we may assist you in this matter.
You may also report fraudulent emails to the Federal Trade Commission by calling 1-877-IDTHEFT.
For more information on Phishing and how to protect yourself, visit: