Skip to content

Do I need a real estate attorney representing me at closing?


In some parts of the country, it’s completely normal to have a real estate attorney present during the mortgage closing process. In fact, in some places it’s required by law. But in others, it's more common for an escrow officer to facilitate the closing process and you could determine whether you prefer to have one or not.

To find out what you should do, contact your loan officer or real estate agent. He or she can go over what’s customary and necessary in your state. And if you have an attorney who has questions, of course he or she can contact M&T Bank with your permission.